Friday, January 4, 2013

Tea Review: Adagio Chamomile



Brew Time: 6 minutes
Brew Temperature: 212F
Rating: 7.5/10
Label information: "Ingredient: Chamomile"
Cost: $3.33/ounce from Adagio Teas

This tea has a light, slightly floral, slightly sweet scent. The scent is not overpowering, and it's barely noticeable at all unless you're intentionally smelling the tea (which I do, all the time). The loose tea is gorgeous, as it is 100% chamomile flowers. The flowers are quite delicate, and bits tend to fall off in the package and during brewing. Because of this, you may want to use a paper filter or a very fine mesh tea ball to brew it in if you don't want bits floating in your tea. You can also strain them out after brewing.

I chose to use a tea ball as I don't usually mind floaty bits in my herbal teas. This is the first time I have brewed this tea in a white cup, so I was pretty impressed and surprised by the clear, bright, vibrant yellow color. I can't help but be happy just looking at the tea. It has a very, very light scent once it is brewed.


The flavor is light and barely bitter. It really doesn't have much of a flavor at all - it's rather similar to the scent  in that you have to be looking for it to appreciate it. It does have just a hint of sweetness to compliment the bitter. It is very smooth and very soothing, but be careful what you brew this tea in and drink it out of. It can take on the flavor of its container pretty easily. I brewed it in styrofoam this time around in order to get a good white background, and the flavor of styrofoam is pretty obvious. A stronger flavored tea would not pick up the styrofoam flavor as easily. For best results, brew and serve this tea in a thoroughly cleaned glass or ceramic vessel.

Overall this is a perfect night time tea. It does help me relax, but lacks a strong flavor. I give it a 7.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment